CREB?

hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com
Wed Apr 7 20:42:18 EST 1999

In article <7eapup$l1r$1 at usenet01.srv.cis.pitt.edu>,
  mihalek at FORMULA1.smtp.anes.upmc.edu (Robert M. Mihalek) wrote:
> In article <7e493v$rk6$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>
> hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com writes:
>
> > I've seen brief mention of CREB in a journal article (Arendt DA and
> > Nubler-Jung K. 1996. BioEssays (18): 255-259). It is brought up as a
> > conserved mechanism of long-term memory. I've nosed around Medline a little
> > and came to the conclusion that this might be an important possibility. How
> > does CREB compare/contrast with LTP? I realize LTP has come under some
> > scrutiny lately. Is there good criticism for CREB? I'll probably focus more
> > on this when time allows, but in the meantime I'd appreciate feedback.
>
> Check out the Neuron and Cell publications from Jerry C.P. Yin and Tim
> Tully. They did the Drosophila CREB work showing the divergent effects
> of two splice variants, CREB activator and CREB repressor, on
> protein-synthesis dependent long-term memory. Over-expression of CREB
> activator essentially made the flies super-smart (odor-o-graphic
> memory) and expression of the CREB blocker form nixed the flies'
> ability to develope long-term memory.
>
> Since this is such an excellently presented case of CREB's involvement
> in long-term memory in a live behaving animal, you really needn't worry
> about LTP.

Thanks to everybody who entered this discussion. I'm pretty much lurking
right now. I'll be able to attack the literature a little more in a month.
I'd love to find a way of conceptually linking engrams with Bauplane (don't
ask ;-)), but I need to get some more molecular details under my belt. The
article I cited (Arendt and Nubler-Jung, 1996) looked at a commonality in
brain anlagen development, which could go down to the early gene patterning.
It was Geoffroy St. Hilaire who spawned the idea of vertebrates and
arthropods being inversions of each other and some of the genetics might be
pointing in this direction. Arendt and Nubler-Jung have another article
(1994. Nature (371): 26) where this is discussed. Interesting stuff.

Scott Chase