CREB?

hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com
Thu Apr 8 21:10:24 EST 1999

In article <7eh4d6$pdc at dfw-ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>,
  flefever at ix.netcom.com(F. Frank LeFever) wrote:

> Well, I WILL ask: what is Bauplane?  German for "building plan"?

Yes, but in the biological use of the term it refers to basic body plans.
Gould and Lewontin (1979) refer to this Bauplan of the continental European
evolutionists. You can find this term in various sources that focus on
evolution and development.

I've run across two related terms: phylotype and zootype. Phylotype refers to
a conserved commonality in morphology of early embryos and zootype refers to
a conserved genetic expression in early development. For more on the latter
see Slack, Holland, and Graham (1993). The zootype involves *Hox* clusters,
but more interestingly it also involves two genes known as *orthodenticle*
and *empty spiracle* that seem to be involved in brain regions more anterior
than *Hox* clusters (Arendt annd Nubler-Jung, 1996). For me this is really
neat stuff (pardon the slang), but I've got a heck of a lot more reading
ahead of me. I haven't quite caught the "deep time phylogeny" bug yet, but
I'm close.

refs:

Arendt D and Nubler-Jung. 1996. Common ground plans in early brain
development in mice and flies. BioEssays (18): 255-259

Gould SJ and Lewontin RC. 1979. The spandrels of San Marco and the Panglosian
paradigm: a critique of the adaptationist programme. Prec. of the Royal
Society of London, B, (205): 581-98 as excerpted in _Evolution_ 1997. edited
by Mark Ridley. Oxford University Press. New York.

Slack JMW, Holland PWH, and Graham CF. 1993. The zootype and the phylotypic
stage. Nature (361): 490-2

Scott Chase