Narcolepsy and HLA-DR2

Nick Medford nick at hermit0.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 9 21:11:02 EST 1999

It's said that approximately 95 percent of cases of narcolepsy are
associated with HLA-DR2. However a colleague informs me that this figure
is based on studies on Caucasians, and the association is less robust in
other groups. Unfortunately I can't find references to confirm this, nor
can I find data relating to HLA associations in non-Caucasians with
narcolepsy. Can anyone help? This has practical importance as I am
seeing a 30 yr old Afro-Caribbean man who has a complex presentation
suggestive of narcolepsy with an associated paranoid psychosis. Lishman
describes this combination in "Organic Psychiatry", but even he doesn't
go into detail on ethnic differences in the HLA association.
Thanks in advance.
--
Nick Medford