gene knock out concept

Edward Justin Modestino, A.L.B. ejmodest at sas.upenn.edu
Sun Apr 11 18:30:38 EST 1999

I am looking for a basic explanation of of the gene knock out concept in
mice.  I believe that one would take mouse semen and extract the specific
gene.  Then pair the semen cells (with the extracted gene) with mouse eggs
to produce a zygote implanted into a mouse womb.  Then one would mate
several generations of these brothers and sisters to attempt to produce
offspring that were missing both copies of the original gene.  Do I have
this correct?  What am I missing?