brain usage capacity

Richard Hall rhall at uvi.edu
Sun Apr 11 14:45:10 EST 1999

Tony,

Scientists had nothing to do with the 1% estimate.  The fact is we use
pretty much the entire brain although not at the same instant.  Just about
the only time one might use most of the brain would be during an epileptic
seizure.  If someone insists the low-ball estimate is accurate, just ask
them what 10% of their brain they would like have removed.

The 1% figure probably arose from parental mutterings associated with
raising 12 to 16 year olds.

rlh

At 1:36 PM -0400 4/11/99, antoine wrote:
>Hello:
>
>I am looking for any info on justifying the fact that we use less than 1%
>(or some other small percent).
>How did the neuro-scientists came up with this number?
>tony serfaty

Richard Hall, Associate Professor of
Comparative Animal Physiology
Division of Sciences and Mathematics