What's a Brain Wave?

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Sun Apr 11 22:09:20 EST 1999

One should point out that theta waves (a rather slow range of
frequencies) occur in drowsiness and many conditions of cerebral
impairment, but gamma waves (a range of rather high frequencies) are
associated with the opposite--in sleep, they might be associated with
REM (dreaming) activity.

I believe focal 40Hz (in the gamma range) is thought by some to
represent activity involving some salient event (Sheer's emphasis), or
(more than one focus?) "binding together" different aspects of an event
or activity (e.g. Llinas, others).

There have been various strategies for "driving" activity at designated
frequencies (of dubious validity, I  believe), as well as biofeedack
procedures to selectively enhance selected frequencies; claimed
outcomes are controversial, but cannot be rejected out of hand.

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group