gene knock out concept

Robert M. Mihalek mihalek at FORMULA1.smtp.anes.upmc.edu
Mon Apr 12 08:37:01 EST 1999

In article <3711309E.E301F89F at sas.upenn.edu>
"Edward Justin Modestino, A.L.B." <ejmodest at sas.upenn.edu> writes:

> I am looking for a basic explanation of of the gene knock out concept in
> mice.  I believe that one would take mouse semen and extract the specific
> gene.  Then pair the semen cells (with the extracted gene) with mouse eggs
> to produce a zygote implanted into a mouse womb.  Then one would mate
> several generations of these brothers and sisters to attempt to produce
> offspring that were missing both copies of the original gene.  Do I have
> this correct?  What am I missing?

It is a fairly complicated process. Your best bet is to get a review
from Mario R. Capecchi and read about it, then ask specific questions
about more narrow aspects of the technique. It doesn't involve sperm,
electric current is used to force DNA into mouse "eggs."

Here's some references:
1) Science 244:1288 (1989)

2) Scientific American March pages 34-41, 1994

please remove the name of the RACE SERIES for e-mail replies