brain usage capacity

Michael A. G. Cohn enkidu at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Apr 13 00:49:10 EST 1999

I recall it was "antoine" <antoine at ifu.net> who said:

>Hello:
>
>I am looking for any info on justifying the fact that we use less than 1%
>(or some other small percent).
>How did the neuro-scientists came up with this number?

The refutations posted here are correct. I'd like to contribute
another possible origin for this myth:

90-99% of the brain's cells are glial cells. These are "support" cells
which handle synthesis, housecleaning, and structural functions for
the neurons. Perhaps someone heard that the vast majority of the brain
isn't involved in thought, and concluded that it could be but just
wasn't.

	- Michael Cohn
enkidu at mail.utexas.edu
"Take a man out of a pestilential jungle where people he doesn't
 know are trying to kill him for reasons he doesn't understand
 and. . . his need to shoot smack goes away."
     - Dan Baum, _Smoke and Mirrors_