Inversion between verts and inverts

Richard Norman rnorman at umich.edu
Wed Apr 14 15:51:04 EST 1999

I don't remember what this thread was originally called,
it has scrolled off my news group, but I have found
some new info.

"Fundamental Neuroscience" (Zigmond, Bloom, Landis, Roberts
and Squire, Academic Press, 1999) refers to this notion in
Box 2.5 on page 19, "How to turn a lobster into a vertebrate".

It attributes the notion of inversion of the dorsoventral axis
to E Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire in 1822.  It also cites recent
studies on the patterning of the dorsoventral axis in the
"Urbilateria", a precursor and common ancestor of arthropods
and chordates:

    DeRobertis, E.M. and Y. Sasai, A common plan for dorsoventral
    patterning in Bilateria. Nature 380:37-40(1996)

    Hogan, B.L.M. Upside-down ideas vindicated.  Nature 376:210-211
    (1996).