the homunculus

Malcolm McMahon malcolm at pigsty.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 05:22:00 EST 1999

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999 01:35:47 GMT, cijadra at zedat.fu-berlin.de
(Cijadrachon) wrote:

>I do not perceive the "would need", as I perceive no need but that of
>someone not even understanding his own emotions all to burden someone
>else with emotions abd handicap his logical thinking.

Logical thinking is a goal oriented process and it can't generate it's
own goals. In the case of humans our goals are supplied by our genes and
our social context. These we call "emmotional drives". In the case of an
AI the goals would be provided by us, oriented to the benefit of whoever
was paying for the machine. That too would probably be described as an
emotional drive.

A machine with no externally supplied goals would do nothing.