Inversion between verts and inverts

hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com
Fri Apr 16 14:11:46 EST 1999

In article <3714FFB8.4F0C4294 at umich.edu>,
  Richard Norman <rnorman at umich.edu> wrote:
> I don't remember what this thread was originally called,
> it has scrolled off my news group, but I have found
> some new info.

It was called "CREB?". It was I who spawned it. Thank you for looking.

> "Fundamental Neuroscience" (Zigmond, Bloom, Landis, Roberts
> and Squire, Academic Press, 1999) refers to this notion in
> Box 2.5 on page 19, "How to turn a lobster into a vertebrate".
>
> It attributes the notion of inversion of the dorsoventral axis
> to E Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire in 1822.  It also cites recent
> studies on the patterning of the dorsoventral axis in the
> "Urbilateria", a precursor and common ancestor of arthropods
> and chordates:

Was this discussed as a "flatworm ancestor"?

>     DeRobertis, E.M. and Y. Sasai, A common plan for dorsoventral
>     patterning in Bilateria. Nature 380:37-40(1996)
>
>     Hogan, B.L.M. Upside-down ideas vindicated.  Nature 376:210-211
>     (1996).

Thank you for the references, Richard. Geoffroy wasn't so far off the mark, I
guess. Too bad those scientists way back when couldn't enjoy the molecular
techniques used today. Of course 100-200 years from now, people might be
saying similar things about the scientific greats of our time.

--
Scott Chase