Comments about Kollins's A0K (from slighltly edited unanswered email)

Sir Knowitall for.spam.reasons.peel.away.until.only.fellin.remains at one.net.au
Thu Apr 15 21:32:18 EST 1999

Open letter to Ken Kollins

Forthwith I shall use the abbreviation MIOYS -- for "My Interpretation Of
Your Statement (in A0K)". Let me know your response to my interpretations.

When you write about the reticular formation

[[by the way, I've had fun
contriving and making theoretical use of a related abbreviation --"RAT
neurons" for Reticular Activating Type neurons"]]

you state:

"...stochastic activation output....is inherently a TD E/I ^ state that
occurs as a ***topologically distributed tuning-precision void***

[[[MIOYS (especially the highlighted expression) is:
A more or less diffusely distributed and localised increase of neural
metabolising activity against an ideal back-ground (or ditto tendency)
towards a least energy consuming yet alive and adaptive brain-tissue
state ---(seemingly a tendency in harmony with the "cosmic law of
leisure")]]]

And, when you state (roughly represented) that functionally associated
mechanisms "whittle down" that "tuning-precision void", what you are
describing as in reality taking place
is that we (a "being a neural animal") **reflect** a *self-regulatory
process* that has 'been aimed', primarily by the evolutionary process (a
process largely explainable by way of Darwin's super-principle Natural
Selection) ---- a process in which "the aim" involves fulfilling our needs
(including our early developmentally timed "primal needs". That is, our
innate needs to be really "Loved" at the right times and in the right ways,
especially during our formative stages of our lives.

[["Primal needs" can be given and has been given rational-scientific as well
as sometimes also touching and beautiful definitions. E.g. as per
authorship such as Arthur Janov's, Alice Miller's, Jean Liedloff's,
Fredrick Leboyer's, John Bowlby's, and many others'.]]

Although your description of functions and principles involved in the "TD
E/I v" (use "v" because I have no down-arrow --- or do I?) is unusually
thorough, the these functions have been described quite efficiently by Paul
Bush http://www.keck.ucsf.edu/~paul/brain.html as the principle of
"centre/surround excitation/inhibition".

This, his, expression can be taken to include the principle of "lateral
inhibition", or, IOW,  **situationally**  biased* mutual (lateral
inhibitory) competition "for dominance" between parallel same-level
actention modules at the same level of "program structural" [or "proster"
(as per Leslie A. Hart)] integration --- as well as, at the same time,
between
hierarchically sub or super-positioned (and of course innately
threshold-prioritised) "actention modules".

"Actention modules" is related to e.g. Hebb's "neural assemblies" and
what appears to be e.g. Gazzaniga's concept of brain modules.

"Actention modules" ("actention" used e.g. as in "focuses of actention") is
a pragmatic (concEPTual) invention. That is, the term was tailor-made to
allow the construction of an alluding and unusually self-defining and to me
uniquely powerful (powerfully explanatory) acronym.

You use the term "homeomorphic".

MIOYS is that you are referring to the neuroanatomical (and I am sure
hormonally integrated as well) channels/scheme for mapping the reality of
having a physical-functional body that can but interact with and
self-regulate at incoming influences of environmental factors; the sum total
of which I have lumped-together into the expression/term
(life-)"Situations";
Or, for representing (emphasising) the inclusion of past personal as well as
past phylogenetic (come instinctive) (and possibly intermediate)
life-Situationally caused factors of influence or determinants of how we
behave at any one time, I sometimes use the expression "Total Situation".

MIOYS, "trophic changes of TD E/Iv" is: conditioned-in aspects of
successful self-regulation.

MIOYS, "different super system configuration = different focuses of
actention
(or at least the subliminal state of competition that gives rise to our
*always only transiently dominant* actentions.

You use TD E/I minimisation "hunger" ---- instead of the state of needing or
having unfulfilled needs and/or primal needs.

The seeking of "TD E/Iv" = (include) the search for primal need fulfilment.

MIOYS, "the momentary TDE/I [is] a function of the **sum** of the
individually unique learning that each person has experienced", is "Total
(life-) Situation"

MIOYS --- "DT holds that addiction reduces to the minimisation of TDE/I", is
that the statement is aligned with the notion that "primal Pain" [Janov] --
an obviously very common conditioned-in brain state -- does very often
motivate (or at least tends to co-motivate) addictive behaviours (incl. drug
abuse)

[Re: Page two of ap 8 :2] MIOYS --- The mechanisms of depression is
activated when **behaviour**......".  The word "behaviour SHOULD IMHO have
been "experiences".

At Ap. 8:2 page 3, you might PERHAPS wrote something to the effect that
1. the state of depression is correlated with and caused by situations that
give rise to a "TDE/I [that] remains high over an extended period"; and that
"[the brain state/signature of depression is] a greatly elevated TD E/I"

=

(to me) you are de facto saying/describing that repression is a functional
consequence of living (in) a "S.H.I.T.S." (one of my acronymal concEPTs) and
you are also describing the "conditioned-in" residue of SHITS that I have
given the alternative acronym-name (i.e. alternative to terms used by
others) CURSES.

In one of my brain-theory "bibles", Alexander Luria's The Working Brain, he
writes (in chapter 2) about (describes a principle characterised by) the
reciprocal complementary relationship between what he calls "specific
fibres" and "nonspecific fibres" [i.e. ditto types or sub-systems of neurons
making up the nervous super-system -- my words and my reflecting comment].
YOU use --- with roughly the same meaning --- (MIOYS) the words/labels
"epicritic" and "protopathic", respectively.

Lastly (I could comment a lot more but think I should stop at this point):

MIOYS, "Topologically -distributed algebraic summation function", is that
it has been quite similarly explained (but more simply -- to a layman and
brain-ignorant person like I was --- by Leslie A Hart) as "program
structures" ("prosters") functioning similar to "jukeboxes" and good old
"summing-amplifiers". (Her? book "How the Brain Works" was the very first
book about the brain I read.)

I hope you read and comment on my "EPT".

This URL takes you most directly to the main EPT document is
www.ozemail.com.au/~fellin/main.htm

Via www.ozemail.com.au/~fellin/portal.htm
you can access all my web documents. And (hopefully) see why I
enjoyed composing them.

I hope you (who seemed to me to be a kind and sensitive person) does not
feel
bad about the kind of humour I have used/have.

About your effort: Am, as I said before, very impressed by your
thoroughness.

I also collected references (from research articles in scientific journals
such as Science, Nature etc.) on small bits of library note-paper. And
believe me or not, I have lost most of them. (Don't ask me how!) There is no
way in the world  am going to do the research again. And there is no need
for it, really. Since I have made it my motto that "THEIR REFERENCE ARE MY