the homunculus

Malcolm McMahon malcolm at pigsty.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 17 02:34:16 EST 1999

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 03:24:41 GMT, cijadra at zedat.fu-berlin.de
(Cijadrachon) wrote:

>>Logical thinking is a goal oriented process and it can't generate it's
>>own goals.
>Maybe your cholinergic limbic areas actually can't.
>
>> In the case of humans our goals are supplied by our genes and
>>our social context. These we call "emmotional drives".
>No, we certainly don't.
>We tend to discern between transmitters, drugs causing emotional
>reactions, hormones and so on, and most humans I know advanced a
>little bit beyond just following a load of bio-programs driving them
>and their goals.

Logical thinking is a very effective way of finding a route to achieve
your goals but I repeat logic can't _determine_ underlying goals. Goals
are the axioms of the logical processes in question, if you see a goal
that is generated by logic then that's a sub-goal, generated by a more
fundamental goal.

>>In the case of an AI the goals would be provided by us,
>
>Certainly not by me, as I find dictating slaves wrong.

Whatever goals they will have, we will give them. Would your rather tell
them "pretend to be human"?

>But it fits you that you would like to keep slaves and dictate them
>their goals.

Is someone who's _nature_ it is serve a slave because they serve?