Depression and Low DHEA

hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com
Sat Apr 17 18:21:42 EST 1999

In article <924342758.612558 at server.australia.net.au>,
  "John" <johnhkm at netsprintXXXX.net.au> wrote:

> >Where is this copyrighted suggestion of yours to be found? And while we're
> at
> >it, is there anything DHEA isn't responsible for in terms of human biology
> >(just a trace of sarcasm ;-))?
>
> Oh Scott, it used to be testosterone that was responsible for everything.

I remember reading something a while back about how testosterone was going to
be a fountain of youth or something like that. But when it hit big in the
bodybuilding community...

(snip)

> >I realize that this is sold as a dietary supplement and I think some
> >bodybuilders might use it, but does DHEA's existence warrant it being
> invoked
> >as a hyperexplanation for everything under the sun? Don't get me wrong, I
> was
> >once quite fond of Linus Pauling's arguments for ascorbic acid, but how
> >strong was the supporting evidence for this (especially megadoses)
> preventing
> >the common cold? I even used to take lecithin religiously as a choline
> >source, hoping it would make me more cogent (it OBVIOUSLY didn't work).
> >*Gingko biloba* is another similar craze. Same with melatonin. People get
> >caught up in the furvor over promising herbs and dietary supplements (not
> >just DHEA). The use of dietary supplements isn't necessarily a bad thing,
> but
> >some skepticism of wild claims is definitely a good thing.
>
> Actually Scott, Gingko biloba has been demonstrated to reverse the effects
> of dementia and as a vaso dilator does hold some promise as a useful
> substance.

Does it hold promise for students around final exam time ;-) Actually,
granting that *Ginkgo* (I double checked the spelling this time) is a decent
supplement, how is one to know whether what they buy in a health food store
or supermarket is the "real deal". I assume most manufacturers are reputable,
but...

>The problem is that someone reads a news byte and deduces that
> this is the new miracle cure for that month. It's never that easy, but let's
> not throw the baby out with the DHEA. As you state, when you start coming
> across these sorts of claims, be sceptical, be very sceptical. And where
> possible, check it out for yourself.

As for DHEA, if it does hold promise for certain conditions, what are its
long term effects? I wonder if it has any detrimental effects on the liver,
like steroids do, at least I've heard they do anyway. When I used to lift
weights I thought about going on a DHEA regimen to improve my gains, but I
liked to drink beer and I was really sketchy about abusing my liver too much,
you know.

> Incidentally, I thought Linus Pauling advocated Vitamin C as an anti-cancer
> agent, and he died of prostrate cancer I think!

How old was he though? Actually I think doing good science is correlated with
longevity. Just look at Ernst Mayr :-)

(snip)

--
Scott Chase