Depression and Low DHEA

John johnhkm at netsprintXXXX.net.au
Sat Apr 17 04:01:45 EST 1999

>Where is this copyrighted suggestion of yours to be found? And while we're
at
>it, is there anything DHEA isn't responsible for in terms of human biology
>(just a trace of sarcasm ;-))?

Oh Scott, it used to be testosterone that was responsible for everything.
You know, we're really quite simple creatures, just one thing makes all the
difference, which explains why at the end of this century we are still
stumbling around in the dark with regard to so many things neuroscientific.
Or physics, or biology, or genetics, for that matter.

>I realize that this is sold as a dietary supplement and I think some
>bodybuilders might use it, but does DHEA's existence warrant it being
invoked
>as a hyperexplanation for everything under the sun? Don't get me wrong, I
was
>once quite fond of Linus Pauling's arguments for ascorbic acid, but how
>strong was the supporting evidence for this (especially megadoses)
preventing
>the common cold? I even used to take lecithin religiously as a choline
>source, hoping it would make me more cogent (it OBVIOUSLY didn't work).
>*Gingko biloba* is another similar craze. Same with melatonin. People get
>caught up in the furvor over promising herbs and dietary supplements (not
>just DHEA). The use of dietary supplements isn't necessarily a bad thing,
but
>some skepticism of wild claims is definitely a good thing.

Actually Scott, Gingko biloba has been demonstrated to reverse the effects
of dementia and as a vaso dilator does hold some promise as a useful
substance. The problem is that someone reads a news byte and deduces that
this is the new miracle cure for that month. It's never that easy, but let's
not throw the baby out with the DHEA. As you state, when you start coming
across these sorts of claims, be sceptical, be very sceptical. And where
possible, check it out for yourself.

Incidentally, I thought Linus Pauling advocated Vitamin C as an anti-cancer
agent, and he died of prostrate cancer I think!

John
Remove XXXX spam jam