Depression and Low DHEA

hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com
Fri Apr 16 21:21:40 EST 1999

In article <7f210j$olo$1 at juliana.sprynet.com>,
  "James Howard" <jmhoward at sprynet.com> wrote:
> Depression and Low DHEA
>
> I suggested that low DHEA may result in depression in 1985, copyrighted.  I
> was pleased to find the following research.

(research reference quote snipped)

Where is this copyrighted suggestion of yours to be found? And while we're at
it, is there anything DHEA isn't responsible for in terms of human biology
(just a trace of sarcasm ;-))?

I realize that this is sold as a dietary supplement and I think some
bodybuilders might use it, but does DHEA's existence warrant it being invoked
as a hyperexplanation for everything under the sun? Don't get me wrong, I was
once quite fond of Linus Pauling's arguments for ascorbic acid, but how
strong was the supporting evidence for this (especially megadoses) preventing
the common cold? I even used to take lecithin religiously as a choline
source, hoping it would make me more cogent (it OBVIOUSLY didn't work).
*Gingko biloba* is another similar craze. Same with melatonin. People get
caught up in the furvor over promising herbs and dietary supplements (not
just DHEA). The use of dietary supplements isn't necessarily a bad thing, but
some skepticism of wild claims is definitely a good thing.

--
Scott Chase