Depression and Low DHEA

John johnhkm at netsprintXXXX.net.au
Sat Apr 17 20:38:08 EST 1999

hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com wrote in message
<7fb520$sdr$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>In article <924342758.612558 at server.australia.net.au>,
>  "John" <johnhkm at netsprintXXXX.net.au> wrote:
>>
>> >Where is this copyrighted suggestion of yours to be found? And while
we're
>> at
>> >it, is there anything DHEA isn't responsible for in terms of human
biology
>> >(just a trace of sarcasm ;-))?
>>
>> Oh Scott, it used to be testosterone that was responsible for everything.
>>

>I remember reading something a while back about how testosterone was going
>be a fountain of youth or something like that. But when it hit big in the
>bodybuilding community...
>

>(snip)
>>
>> >I realize that this is sold as a dietary supplement and I think some
>> >bodybuilders might use it, but does DHEA's existence warrant it being
>> invoked
>> >as a hyperexplanation for everything under the sun? Don't get me wrong,
>> was
>> >once quite fond of Linus Pauling's arguments for ascorbic acid, but how
>> >strong was the supporting evidence for this (especially megadoses)
>> preventing
>> >the common cold? I even used to take lecithin religiously as a choline
>> >source, hoping it would make me more cogent (it OBVIOUSLY didn't work).
>> >*Gingko biloba* is another similar craze. Same with melatonin. People
get
>> >caught up in the furvor over promising herbs and dietary supplements
(not
>> >just DHEA). The use of dietary supplements isn't necessarily a bad
thing,
>> but
>> >some skepticism of wild claims is definitely a good thing.
>>
>> Actually Scott, Gingko biloba has been demonstrated to reverse the
effects
>> of dementia and as a vaso dilator does hold some promise as a useful
>> substance.
>>

>Does it hold promise for students around final exam time ;-) Actually,
>granting that *Ginkgo* (I double checked the spelling this time) is a
decent
>supplement, how is one to know whether what they buy in a health food store
>or supermarket is the "real deal". I assume most manufacturers are
reputable,
>but...

I doubt it will have that degree of benefit. What is good for dementia may
not hold out the same promise for others. It's a bit like taking vitamins,
the effects may not be measurable, and I suspect that any benefits gained
require long term use. In any event, light aerobic exercise probably brings
better benefits. I remember reading an abstract in which it was claimed an
intravenous glucose injection gives a temp boost to cognition. Personally I
find eating a couple of oranges to give a noticeable pickup, particularly
when feeling rundown having not eaten for some hours. As to the quality
question, its a minefield out there. Your own you're own!

>>The problem is that someone reads a news byte and deduces that
>> this is the new miracle cure for that month. It's never that easy, but
let's
>> not throw the baby out with the DHEA. As you state, when you start coming
>> across these sorts of claims, be sceptical, be very sceptical. And where
>> possible, check it out for yourself.
>>

>As for DHEA, if it does hold promise for certain conditions, what are its
>long term effects? I wonder if it has any detrimental effects on the liver,
>like steroids do, at least I've heard they do anyway. When I used to lift
>weights I thought about going on a DHEA regimen to improve my gains, but I
>liked to drink beer and I was really sketchy about abusing my liver too
much,
>you know.

Good point. I haven't read about DHEA for a while but do remember something
about continued dosages raising potential toxicity problems. It does help
with bodybuilders, but only in circumstances where one is at the training
limit. Even for these individuals there should not be sustained use. For
those less inclined to such strenuous exertion I am doubtful any substantial
benefit will be made.

>> Incidentally, I thought Linus Pauling advocated Vitamin C as an
anti-cancer
>> agent, and he died of prostrate cancer I think!
>>

>How old was he though? Actually I think doing good science is correlated
with
>longevity. Just look at Ernst Mayr :-)

Circa 74 years I believe. I agree re long term. Taking vitamin C at 500 mg
every four hours is the way to go, apparently in larger doses most of it is
excreted. I should be more careful in what I state. Thanx.

Making mistakes again,

John
Remove XXXX spam jam