Depression and Low DHEA

James Howard jameshoward950 at my-dejanews.com
Sun Apr 18 14:28:36 EST 1999

Thank you for your response.  The following is a quotation from my work of
1985.  At the time I had read that many depressed patients report a
stressful event prior to the onset of depression.  Since my work of 1985
also includes an explanation of the "fight or flight" mechanism, I used this
to explain how DHEA could be lowered, remain reduced, and, therefore, be an
explanation of depression.  Of course, based on this hypothesis, anything
that lowers DHEA, such as infections, disease, lack of food, etc., may
result in depression.  At the time, I tried to explain this in terms of
receptors, which I called "S/A/S receptors," and the ability of DHEA to
induce them.  In the following years, I have switched my focus to the
effects of DHEA alone at the cell surface and on DNA.

"However, stressful consequences of an event subside in most people.
However, some people remain depressed for unusually lengthy periods and to
degrees which are not appropriate.  These people, I suggest, are people who
are prone to down-regulation of S/A/S receptors, that is, most people
rebound to the event; the depressed person takes an inordinately long time
to up-regulate S/A/S receptor function.  This would be, in essence, under
production of DHEA.   .This would be due to a reduction of DHEA production."
page 127 of "A Theory of the Control of the Ontogeny and Phylogeny of Homo
sapiens by the Interaction of Dehydroepiandrosterone and the Amygdala,"
copyright 1985, James Michael Howard, Fayetteville, Arkansas, U.S.A.

I made no "wild claims" about DHEA.  However, my work suggests DHEA affects
cell surface receptors and, more importantly, affects transcription and
duplication of DNA.  Therefore, I am not surprised that the effects of DHEA
may be quite broad.  My work concerning DHEA is supported by a line of
reassoning supported by citations; my ideas about DHEA are not wild claims.
I invite you to read some of my work at http://www.naples.net/~nfn03605/.
James Howard