a prediction confirmed

dag.stenberg at helsinki.nospam.fi dag.stenberg at helsinki.nospam.fi
Sun Apr 18 13:28:37 EST 1999

ken collins <kenpc at banet.net> wrote:
> way back, but with the theory already well-developed, i tried to
> win an opportunity, but couldn't come up with any sponsors. i've
> never been accepted by SFN. i did attend one of their annual
> meetings, if that's what you're referring to. seems an extremely
> cloistered group, no? plus, the "conferences" i have attended
> were sorrow-times for me... so much work needing to be done, and
> everyone running around as if they were at some circus, obviously
> caring more about "being there and being seen" than the work that
> needed to be accomplished.

I would not refer to a SFN Annual Meeting as a cloistered group. One
cannot really think of 25000 different people as a "group". In a certain
topic, there might be a "group", the likelihood being greater the less
studied the subject is.
  Everybody certainly seem to be running around. However, many are very
organized in their running, going by a schedule they have derived from
the program with the aid of computers. It would be difficult, though, to
understand the running, not knowing what they are doing (like: 9.45 goto
room 135, attend two 10 minute presentations, 10.15 goto poster U46,
then visit U53, then V12, then AA27, talk to the people there, then goto
room 213, listen to presentation at 11.30, back to poster T14 to meet X
and Y for lunch to discuss mutual project.
  Some of the action actually is to "goto the poster area Z1 to Z10" to
meet one's cloistered group, the important members of which are to be
found hovering therem, except for the time between 2.30  and 3.15 p.m.
when Everybody that counts is in room 104.
  Confused? I am not. Been doing it every year for over 10 years, and am
learning interesting things at each meeting.

Sorry, Ken, that I have not yet dived into AoK, which you kindly sent
me. I have had a couple of very busy weeks, but I have not lost the file.

Dag Stenberg
Dag Stenberg     MD PhD                    stenberg at cc.helsinki.fi
Institute of Biomedicine		   tel: (int.+)358-9-1918532
Department of Physiology                   fax: (int.+)358-9-1918681
P.O.Box 9        (Siltavuorenpenger 20 J)
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki,Finland