What's a Brain Wave?

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Mon Apr 19 19:38:49 EST 1999

Besides the "normal" occasions for increased theta or delta, they may
be asssociated with pathology--e.g. Alzheimer's (theta) and
encephalopathy (delta)--and a few other less-understood deviations from
normal function, NOT necessarily during obvious drowsiness or sleep.

I have been searching in vain for info on cellular basis for this
(increased GABA activity? or--??), and/or sources (originating in
pathological tissue itself? or from nuclei responsive to pathology
elsewhere?  cf. septal source for hippocampal theta? cf. pontine source
of thalamic theta?)

I understand that something so simple as hyperventilation can increase
theta, concurrently with diminished cognitive ability--but HOW?

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group