What's a Brain Wave?

Cijadrachon cijadra at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sun Apr 18 19:53:50 EST 1999

(...SKIP....)

dag.stenberg at helsinki.nospam.fi wrote:

>As others have pointed out, "brain waves" usually refer to EEG activity
>(eletroencephalographic activity), i.e. the summation potentials of
>large amounts of cortical neurons.

I do not know much about Westie brain energy measuring ways. Before I
had assumed that EEG was that where some stuff is stuck to someone's
head, but then of course to me what you write would sound like sense
censored partial nonsense. Guess I must have the bit about EEG wrong.
How does EEG work?
And what was the name of stuff stuck onto the head and energies
measured?

>  Gamma waves have a frequency of more than 30 Hz (30 cycles/sec), have
>small amplitude and are thus hard to record. They occur mainly during
>focussed attention in wakefulness.
(Maybe you more can't record them for the same reason that such is
difficult for when trying to dock into other brains within magic?)

>  Theta waves have a frequency in humans from 4 to 8 Hz, are not very
>regular, and mostly occur during drowsiness and sleep.
Which stage within sleep?

>  Delta from 0.5 to 4 Hz is irregular and occurs mainly during deep
>sleep.

The deep sleep phases as such to me seemed to take turns
with the dream phases in one brain.
But I never watched deep sleep long, as I am bad in tuning that "low"
and once when I tried it with a brain a few times, it seemed wrong
(unhealthy for the other).

So I am curious what is irregular about it?

>Sigma from 11 to 15 Hz occurs in 1 second bursts during sleep,
>and can be seen most easily during light sleep,
How often and what is it connected with?

>  Trance states

Can you go into trance states?