What's a Brain Wave?

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 20 20:54:36 EST 1999

Yes, yes, yes, of course--but HOW???

What is the cellular mechanism for doing this?  Surely it cannot be so
simple as "the neurons get tired without sufficient oxygen and don't
fire so often", considering that we have a co-ordinated firing,
emerging as a slow rhythm.

In a previous post, Matt Jones pointed out how temporal characteristics
of GABA discharges and duration of receptor activities coincided nicely
with frequency of hippocampal theta--although quick to point out that
this was not necessarily the cause of the rhythm.

In the case of various other theta phenomena, what is known about
cellular mechanisms producing this prominent slowing?

Ass regards source: given more prominent theta frontally, does this
mean that the rhythm arises from some specific alteration of activity
in frontal tissue itself (if so, what is the cellular mechanism?), or
does it meean that neurons in this region are driven by (e.g.) inputs
from the brainstem (e.g. A-10? A-9? I forget. or loc. coeruleus?
raphe?) which are responding to altered blood gasses?

F. LeFever