Period Halving bifurcations during "thalamic storming"

Jim Stagliano stag at eecradar.com
Mon Apr 19 20:28:06 EST 1999

Hello,

I think I observed the phenomenon described below when my 3 year old son was
going through "thalamic storming"
after a TBI (traumatic brain injury).

Basically the time period between episodes halved until they were seemingly
continuous.  Then, the time period doubled until they didn't happen any
more.  (48 hr, 24 hr, 12 hr, ..., continuous, ..., 12 hr, 24 hr, 48 hr...).
Once I realized this I was able to determine when my son was really having
an episode or "upset" (he was still a 3 on the modified GCS).  Indeed during
one of the latter "pissed off" episodes, I was awaken by the nurses in the
unit discussing calling the physician (2 am).  Five minutes in my arms
rocking and singing softly to him and he was fine (definitely NOT thalamic
storming).

Sorry, I disgressed.  Anyway, I was not in the frame of mind during this
period to carefully record the time of episodes, and to tell you the truth,
the medical staff was very sloppy of their documentation as well (general oh
he had an episode, nothing quantitative).

So, I was wondering, is this phenomenon normal for thalamic storming.  AND
if not, would someone be interested in pursuing some statistical / nonlinear
work on this with me.

Thank you,

James J. Stagliano, Jr.  Ph. D.
james_stagliano at hotmail.com