School Shootings & Psychoactive Drugs

Robert M. Mihalek mihalek at FORMULA1.smtp.anes.upmc.edu
Fri Apr 23 08:18:10 EST 1999

In article <3720c25f.2240181 at news.demon.co.uk>
malcolm at pigsty.demon.co.uk (Malcolm McMahon) writes:

> What always gets me is the way that Americans always seem to say
> something along the lines of "It's OK for people to have guns if they
> know how to handle them." If these kids didn't know how to handle guns
> that would cut the casualties.

That reasoning is totally wrong. Substitute "car" for the word "gun"
and you'll see how ridiculous your statement is. A gun is a tool, like
a car or a drill or a knife. If you know how to use it, and respect the
power of the tool, then it is only logical that safer operation will
result. Would you favor banning driver's education as a way to decrease
the number of adolescents dying on the roads?

The Colorado villians had some serious problems, and access to guns
were the least of them. Millions of adolescents go hunting with their
fathers, mothers, uncles, friends, and grandfathers. These kids are
tought how to handle weapons safely, they get to experience and respect
the power of the tool, and develop a sense of respect for the
capability of the tool.

The kids in Colorado were part of a group of kids that assembled a
rather large arsenal of bombs (one of the bombs weighing 25 pounds),
they expended over 900 rounds of ammunition during their assault. Where
were the parents during the accumulation of this arsenal? The USA
already has over 20,000 gun laws on the books. Do you think these kids
cared that possession of the weapons they had WAS ALREADY ILLEGAL?

Now, lets get back to some neuroscience!

please remove the name of the RACE SERIES for e-mail replies