Recommendations for a good neuroanatomy book

Kalman Rubinson kr4 at is2.nyu.edu
Sat Apr 24 21:15:17 EST 1999

John M Price PhD (jmprice at web1.calweb.com) wrote:

> Try to find Kandel, Schwartz & Jessell, Principles of Neural Science.  It
> is more physiology, but where needed, the anatomy is there.  It is pretty
> indepth for the level of course you are talking about here, though.
>
> Martin has one that seems ok, HUman Neuroanatomy, of course. But my
> favorite is the Carpenter & Sutton, human Neuroanatomy, which I think
> stopped at its eighth edition.

The Kandel book lacks any decent treatment of pain and is not a neuroanatomy book.
Martin is not bad as a descriptive text but, again, will not help with the specific
topic.  Carpenter and Sutin is extremely detailed but not as up to date as others.

I suggest Kiernan's neuroanatomy paperback as a scrupulous, up-to-date, and readable text
with a good treatment of the subject specified.

Kal