Distinction between ideomotor and ideational apraxia

inquisitor79 at my-dejanews.com inquisitor79 at my-dejanews.com
Sat Apr 24 20:01:51 EST 1999

Hi! I'm a third year occupational therapy student and I am currently working
on a case study of a man with a left middle cerebral artery ischaemic stroke
predominately effecting the fronto-parietal area.  We have been told that he
has difficulty with daily activities in terms of using objects appropriately,
completing components of the task in correct sequence and shifting smoothly
from one movement to another.  From this I initially assumed that he has
ideational apraxia but am confused between the exact distinction between this
and ideomotor apraxia.	We have been asked to write a discription of how this
person would perform when brushing his teeth and combing his hair, giving a
discription of every step undertaken.  What I wanted to know is if a person
has ideational apraxia are all of their action bizarre such as brushing their
hair with the toothbrush?  And when are they able to complete the task
correctly? Is it possible that difficulty using objects appropriately and
completing componenets of a task in the correct sequence could be due to
ideomotor apraxia, and if this is the case then he would have difficulty
initiating the task and knowing how the task is done?  Basically I am very
confused about the classification of apraxia and the level of dysfunction
experienced by people who have this problem, that is what they are capable
of.  I would appreciate it, if anyone had any idea about this topic if they
could share this knowledge with me or direct me towards a source where this
is explained well.  Thanks for taking the time to read my question.