School Shootings & Psychoactive Drugs

Jeffrey P. Utz, M.D. utz at pilot.msu.edu
Sun Apr 25 16:24:13 EST 1999

I think that Mr Murray was correct in his assessment that the increase of
school shoutings is, at least in part, due to changes in culture and the
violence on TV, in video games and song lyrics.

I have seen no evidence that kids on Ritalin (methyphenidate) or any other
psychoactive drug are more likely to commit any crime, including this type,
than similar kids off the drugs. As far as I can tell, the type of side
effect Mr Mali wrote about does not, as far as I can tell, lead to serious
crimes. Kids with ADHD (for which Ritalin is commonly prescribed) do have a
higher incidence of problem behaviors. However, these problems are caused by
the ADHD, not the Ritalin.

Jeff Utz, M.D..