School Shootings & Psychoactive Drugs

ken collins kenpc at banet.net
Mon Apr 26 17:48:47 EST 1999

Malcolm McMahon wrote:

[...]

> Well I certainly remember being exposed to violence as entertainment in
> my formative years in the fifties and sixties. It wasn't as realistic
> but I'm not convinced that lack of realism shouldn't actually make
> things worse.

my own recollection of the 50s was that not many folks had TV
yet, choose-your-violence from a shelf (video tape and game
rentals and sales) was still a long way off, VCRs, etc., hadn't
even been conceived,  and the movies were far-less
technologically realistic... no total immersion.

most-importantly, legitimate media, not being forced to
"compete", with all of the B.S. of the types above, for the
consumer's dollar reported the news in a far-less-coerced, and,
therefore, less-coercing, way... as a result, folks had the
opportunity to use their own good minds... look around... today,
by far, the greatest use of what is legitimately within the realm
of Psychology is on the parts of Truely-devious, =predatory=,
"advertising" strategies (see AoK, Ap5). by virtue of their
aquiescence to such, legitimate news venues partake in the
predation.

in the fifties, as it was before that (with an ugly peak in the
twenties), there was "buyer beware"... but there was nothing even
close to the rampant predation that's commonplace today.

your comments are totally without substance.

> People want, very much, to believe that the bad behaviour of children is
> due to some environmental influence beyond their control. The Internet
> is the latest scapegoat

deservedly... porn sights, bomb-making sites, hate sights, sites
calling for murders, etc... all accessible by Children.

> but TV is still going strong. Before that is was
> rock-and-roll. Before that comic books.

TV =can= be one of the most-enlightening, spirit-building,
educational things on the face of the planet. that it hasn't been
(except for PBS, which itself still needs work), is the result of
decisions made on the cheap... lowest-common-denominator stuff...
not with respect to what viewers will honor with their channel
button, but with respect to the cost of filling 30 minutes with
something, within the realm of the sewage-like status quo, that
folks won't turn off... TV has cast aside what it could've
been... short-term "profits" won out over the future of Society.

this fair is even exported... and folks hold it up as the "fruits
of Democracy"... there's a pathetic "advertisement", no?

yes.

> I have to say that I was grimly ammused by Clinton's speach about how
> parents ought to prevent their children accessing things glorifying
> violence. I wonder if that thought included guns?

the American Presidency has descended to the point of being a
"spokesperson" for the technocrats who overthrew the Constitution
decades ago. i actually have sorrow on Clinton's behalf... he got
sucked into the whole squalorous morass, a victim of the "profit"
seekers.

> Truth is every viable society has to feed it's boys on a diet of action
> hero stories because young men are always called upon to do any
> necessary killing and dying. A society that failed to do this would be
> replaced in a few generations with one that did. It would be nice to
> live in a world where we could survive without a warrior class but we
> don't.

there's no "has to"... there's only the illusion that stems from
the ignorance, prevalent since the beginning, of how nervous
systems process information in a stereotypically-automated way
that blindly crosses the threshold of violence as nothing more
than a "guess" based on chance.

> There is, I think, within all of us a resentment of the necessary
> restrictions of social living.

it's prejudice toward that which is merely-familiar... the thing
"resented" is that which is merely-unfamiliar... as is explained
in AoK, folks tend to "move away from" (to "hate") anything that
results in their experiencing TD E/I(up)... it's a sorrow...
=all= opportunity exists within the realm of TD E/I(up)... what
do folks do? because understanding has been actively withheld
from them, folks "move away from" the wellspring of opportunity.

it's the work of the "Beast" (an absence of understanding of how
nervous systems process information automatically, in nervous
systems that, nevertheless, process information automatically).

> The conflict between our genetic and our
> socially inculcated drives. The Fenris Wolf bound by a magic cord of
> domestication. (see http://www.pigsty.demon.co.uk/fenris.html for an
> essay on the subject). There's no good pretending it's not there or
> trying to starve the poor beast on a diet of blandness. Rather we must
> pay carefull attention to the state of the cord. We must accept the
> presence of Evil within us and see to it that within is were it stays.

"Fenris Wolf"?

Evil stems from the ignorance of how nervous systems, immersed
within infinity, process information automatically... blindly.

> If child violence has become more commonplace I'm affraid that it's may
> be down to just what thinking people don't want it to be - lack of
> discipline.

solid guidance is precious stuff... but solid guidance is
self-perpetuating.

but in the end, the problem reduces to ignorance with respect to
how nervous systems process information... the propensity for
evil, which is, obviously, in-there, can only be addressed via
understanding... with such, it disappears completely... no
"magic"... the understanding comes to physically exist within
nervous systems as modifications to the neural circuitry which
eliminate and transcend the stuff of the nervous system ignorant
of how information is processed within nervous systems.

this doesn't transforms into "whimps"... it tends to do hust the
opposite because it eliminates susceptibility to predation in all
it's forms.

> In entertainment terms, for me, the classic expression of this drive is
> not some Steven Segal action movie but King Kong and it's imitators.
> Goaded beyond endurance the hero goes on the rampage and is finally
> killed. The film "Falling Down" expresses it rather well, I think.

the classic instance is contained within anything that evokes the
notion of destroying anything that's merely-unfamiliar.

[k collins:] > >, the early exposure to
violence-as-"entertainment"
> >would act as a predisposing factor which, when coupled with later
> >"normal" trauma, might tip the balance.
> >

> I'd say, in a case like this, what tipped the balance was probably
> precedent, the widely known and detailed reports of it happening before.
> Americans are living in a society where a childs tempter tantrum can
> turn into a masacre.

i don't disagree that there's some of this... there've already
been instances of copycat threats in our schools, and these,
obviously, correlate with the news coverage... but the News must
be reported so that folks can find within themselves the will to
do something to choose to change the stuff that can can be
changed if only folks choose to change it.

...otherwise is to allow ignorance to dictate everything...
there's been stuff missing from the news, though... the news has
been one-sided in a way that does perpetuate ignorance. such,
given other existing influences, does augment the "difficulty".

[k collins:] > >at any rate, the thing that's unacceptable to me
is that the
> >violence-as-"entertainment" stuff was done in a
> >calculated-to-win-"profits" way. as such, there's victimization
> >for "profit" in-there, and such is unacceptable.
> >

> But that the profit motive should leed in this direction is simply a
> reaction to the public demand (though advances in special effect
> technology have some influence).

that understanding has been actively withheld from the Public is,
itself, a tragic instance of prejudice toward that which is
merely-familiar.

K. P. Collins