Charcot-Marie-Toth

Richard Norman rsnorman at mw.mediaone.net
Tue Apr 27 10:06:09 EST 1999

Araceli González Vázquez wrote in message
<3724B436.9D654CE3 at estud.unican.es>...
>Hello,
>
>    I would be pleased if anyone could send me some clues or brief
>information about Charcot-Marie-Toth disfunction.
>    Thank you.

How much and how technical do you want?
The Merck Manual (16th ed,  1992) says:

Peroneal muscular atrophy (Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease) is a
relatively common hereditary disorder of the peripheral nervous
system characterized by weakness and atrophy, primarily in
peroneal and distal leg muscles.
The characteristic distribution of motor weakness, foot
deformities, family history, and electrophysiologic abnormalities
confirm the diagnosis.  No specific treatment is available.
Vocational counseling to anticipate disease progression may
be useful in young patients. Bracing helps correct foot drop;
orthopedic surgery to stablize the foot may be of value.