Theta mechanisms: still asking.

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Mon Apr 26 20:22:56 EST 1999

OK, folks, you should have your abstracts for SFN postmarked by now
(well, maybe on west coast you have a few more minutes...).

How about a little time for my continuing question: what is the basis,
at a cellular level, for theta seen in various pathological states
and/or for transient metabolic perturbations? In hyperventilation or in
TIA, it obviously has SOMETHING to do with oxygen supply to neural
(and/or gial?) cells, although as I understand it the relationship is
less than perfect (Ingvaar et al.?).

But HOW is altered oxygen translated into altered frequency?  (For that
matter, is it really a continuum or are there some real qualitative
changes corresponding roughly to conventional delta/theta/alpha
boundaries?)

P.S.( I did manage to find a very detailed treatment of generation of
rhythms by people who should know--authors included Steriade and Gloor,
I believe--and I'll give it another try, but at first reading it does
not seem to answer my question.)

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group