Digital Low Pass?

Matt Jones jonesmat at ohsu.edu
Tue Apr 27 13:38:12 EST 1999

In article <874sm3jjk9.fsf at xsam.dyn.ml.org> Manuel Gebauer,
manuel.gebauer at ruhr-uni-bochum.de writes:
>I would like to filter some voltage traces through a digital low
>pass. The filter should cut off frequencies of more than about
>2 Hz. Hardware filtering is not possible because these data are
>allready recorded and digitized.
>
>Are there any software applications? Or do you know any algorithms
>wich may be implemented in a small program?

There are programs for doing this. If you are a Mac user, I would
recommend Axograph, from Axon Instruments. This is an excellent
all-purpose electrophysiology program. You can matbe get a demo from the
Axon website.

On PC, I have no idea. But on any platform, MATLAB can easily handle this
if you are willing to write some of your own code to read the data files
(unless they're ascii, then no problem).

If all else fails, you can see if you can send OUT the voltage traces
(PCLAMP form Axon, and many other acquisition packages will let you do
this), put them through an analog filter, and re-acquire the filtered
versions.

Matt Jones