Thinking without language?

kenneth Collins kpaulc at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 25 18:44:11 EST 1999

[cross-posts to comp.ai.nat-lang & sci.lang eliminated]

=NOBODY= "thinks" in 'symbols'.

'symbols' are only added to 'thought' as relatively-maximal TD
E/I-minimization is approached, as usefulness with respect to things
pertaining to the 'passive-active phase shift' (AoK, Ap5), is
approached.

'symbolism' is effector-activation.

'thought' correlates with effector-activation, but in myriad ways (see
'dynamic subordinate coupling' and 'sensory-motor templates' in AoK,
Ap5) =almost all= of which have no need for 'symbolic' representation
because their 'motor templates' do not correlate with motor-speech
dynamics.

'thinking' occurs even at spinal 'levels'.

'language' is 'just' a relatively high-'level' effector mechanism...
it's, relatively, 'just' an evolutionary add-on.

this's why verbal symbolism can be explored endlessly. all the
'exploration' is what 'Thought' is. 'words' are 'just' the stuff of
effector-activation.

one more 'tool' in behavioral repetoirs.

'Thought' is Immensely-more.

K. P. Collins