Psychiatric Confusion?

kenneth Collins kpaulc at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 29 07:31:52 EST 1999

John H. wrote:

> <dag.stenberg at helsinki.nospam.fi> wrote in message
> news:84cehu$c42$1 at oravannahka.helsinki.fi...
> >
> > The hippocampal regeneration result may have very little or nothing
> > to do with depression symptoms.
> >
> > Dag Stenberg
>
> Dag strikes again.
>
> Cf:
> Cortisol levels during human aging predict hippocampal atrophy and memory
> deficits
> nature neuroscience . volume 1 no 1 . may 1998
>
> brief extract:
>
> "Adrenalectomy at mid-life, with low-level glucocorticoid replacement,
> attenuates hippocampal degeneration and cogni-tive decline in rats 5 ,
> suggesting that elevated glucocorticoid lev-els directly contribute to the
> development of cognitive impairments. Together, these results strongly
> suggest that gluco-corticoid elevation partly accounts for individual
> differences in age-related hippocampal damage and memory defects in
> rodents."
>
> The glucocorticoid replacement is probably to maintain basal levels as this
> enhances cognition. A little stress goes a long way perhaps, too much and
> you might become the village idiot.
>
> Depression - stress - ...
>
> My bet is that hippocampal atrophy is caused by the depressive symptoms
> which explains why depression lowers memory function.

as is explained in AoK, Ap8, it's the chronically-elevated TD E/I that
constitute the main neural dynamics underpinning what's been referred to
as 'depression', which include a lot more than 'memory'-addressing
problems.

what's been referred to as 'depression' is 'just' innate functionality
that functions to 'dampen' what would, otherwise, be the supersystem
configuration (AoK, Ap5) consequences, given the chronically-elevated TD
E/I.

what's referred to as 'depression' =saves= Lives, both of the
'depressed' individual, and amongst those with whom the 'depressed'
individual interacts.

it's been the Ignorance that's prevailed with respect to what's referred
to as 'depression' that's been the Killer.

ken (K. P. Collins)