Hippocampal Function

dag.stenberg at helsinki.nospam.fi dag.stenberg at helsinki.nospam.fi
Thu Dec 30 03:32:31 EST 1999

Brian Scott <brians at eol.ca> wrote:
> With respect to hippocampal atrophy and depression, a poster at the
> recent Society for Neuroscience meeting demonstrated that a variety of
> antidepressant drugs as well as electroconvulsive shock (which we have
> found as well) increase granule cell neurogenesis in the hippocampus.
> That group seems to think there is a connection between neurogenesis
> here and the antidepressant effects of these drugs.

Are you referring to abstract 608.13 by Chen et al.? I did not see the
poster, so I do not know anything except what is in the abstract.
The abstract says that 14 days administration of tranylcypromine,
desipramine, or fuoxetine (Prozac) did NOT significantly influence mRNA
levels of GDNF (glial-derived neurotrophic factor) or the receptors
GFRalpha-1, GFRalpha-2 or the IEG c-ret. On the contrary, acute or
chronic ECS increased the mRNA of GFRalpha-1 and GFRalpha-2, but not
those of GDNF or c-ret. No reference to depression is made in the
abstrac, whatever these authors may think about it.

ECS disturbs the tissue by massive excitation. It could induce anything.

Dag Stenberg