evolutionary significance of emotions !!

cerebrolat at my-deja.com cerebrolat at my-deja.com
Sat Mar 11 15:14:39 EST 2000

In article <7PthNGAIUAw4EweH at hermit0.demon.co.uk>,
  Nick Medford <nick at hermit0.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <89nql5$nnt$2 at nntp.Stanford.EDU>, Larisa Migachyov
> <lvm at Stanford.EDU> writes

> There is (unsurprisingly) a strong correlation between broken
marriages and depression, while in old age having a spouse is one of the
best protections AGAINST depression (for both sexes). But I do vaguely
recall reading that amongst younger women, depression rates were lower
among the unmarried.

Without all the sociological data, I think that the magnitude of the
problem can be attributed to loneliness. Nick just pointed out the
matter of being alone in the old age. It is not the only cause of
depression, but certainly a very powerful. Just let's look at
ourselves, talking scientifically with virtual "friends" about a disease
that we may be experiencing some symptoms.

Felipe

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.