IUBio

Can neurons contain/use more than one neurotransmitter?

Ricardo Hodara hodara2 at terra.com.br
Sat May 27 19:54:40 EST 2000

Yes. When we say something like
"serotonergic neuron" we are only
saying that the main neurotransmitter
in this type of neuron is serotonin (and
thus this neuron can be inhibitory or
the excitatory -- in other types of neuron
with other main neurotransmitters we
have only inhibitory neurons (GABAergic
neurons for instance) or only excitatory (right
in english?) neurons (like Glutamat's neurons).
However, we have several types of neuro-
transmitters or modulators in the same
neuron. They are genetically regulated (don't
forget the fact that the major part of our
DNA is dedicated to regulate the expression
of proteins in the brain).
And it is amazing -- because the memory&
processing units of information in the brain
are not only inside the connections of the neural
net -- but also in the intraneuron DNA information
which can give (probably more than...) the "bias"
weight of the neuron.
hod, Brasil.

> Yes, but don't ask for the source because I do not remember.
>
>  It is likely the harmonic frequency in the nerve cell determines which
> neurotransmitter is transported from the soma.  The neurotransmitters are
> made in the soma.  It is likely that all are made, but the harmonic
> frequency transports them differently.  I would suspect that more are made
> when there is a reduction due to the transport - a replacement balance
> system.  I have no facts to supports this only a theoretical model -
> Correlational Opponent Processing at http://turn.to/ai
>
> Ron Blue

---