IUBio

resonance, again

Mark Horn rama at pop3.discovernet.net
Wed May 31 06:35:52 EST 2000

Jane -

You may want to do a search, such as: cortex AND oscillatory activity;
I know there were oobservations described by Ghose and Freeman (UC
Berkeley) some time back, ~1996 I think.

I don't think it's entirely accurate to say no such phenomena exist.
Consider what thermal noise really is, e.g., in receptor binding
energies:

-kT ln(kd), where kd is a constant...

Each degree of freedom in the transduction mechanism has an angular
frequency associated with it.  Resonance is extremely important
manifestation, but awfully hard to measure.

Cheers,

mark