IUBio

Technology And The Brain... ( Was The Utter Failure Of The Public Schools )

Haunter Haunter at castles.com
Sun Jun 17 15:27:42 EST 2001

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 15:39:47 -0400, "Marcus S. Turner"
<msharpet at bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Okay ( Sorry for the top post but it seems to be a bit clearer in this
>case...)
>
>Looking over a few threads in the bionet.neuroscience, the idea being
>bantered back and forth appears to be related to the current research in the
>mapping of the mind, i.e. where does the part of the brain that anger
>reside?  Hope?  Joy?
>
>There were several back and forth conversations regarding the current state
>of technology.  The common consensus was that while we are starting to
>determine general areas of emotional response, we are nowhere near the
>ability to determine something as mundane as "state of mind."  Good day,
>bad day.
>
>The discussions did make a guess at what might happen with this research in
>the future, given advances in scientific understand and technological
>innovation.  Some folks believe that the technology might one day exist that
>will enable us to "read minds" or at least obtain a better understanding of
>what is happening in our own head.  It is an interesting discussion on
>possibilities.
>
>I did not find any thing to suggest that this ability could be used by
>others without the technology.  But I may have missed something.  And
>biology is not one of my strong points.
>
>Having said that, I will make a small comment about the accusations going
>back and forth between Mark and Dan Pressnell in a different part of this
>thread.  It appears that it is based on a couple of misunderstandings.
>
>Mark appears to be using a different definition of ESP than the one
>paranormals and skeptics use.  Technology usually isn't a part of the common
>use of  ESP.  Perhaps we may be able to "read minds" with technology in the
>future.  But I don't consider that to be ESP, a paranormal ability.  Perhaps
>that not what you meant but that is how it appeared.
>
>Dan appears to believe that Mark's comments were in direct support of the
>Teacher / Students anecdote that appeared earlier.  I don't believe Mark is
>supporting the story but his reference is a bit obscured by the story and
>the unspecified reference to another newsgroup.  Tho' Dan's reaction to the
>post does seem to be a bit over the top.  But given the number of trolls
>that appear any time ESP is mentioned, it is understandable.
>
>I think both you have valid points but they are not totally appropriate to
>the topic at hand.
>
>And since you both so shy and retiring, Please let me know if I am
>mistaken...
>
>Marcus Turner

Regarding the issue of technology and ESP, I thought you might find
the following abstract of interest. Granted, it's only a sample of
one, but it's an indication, at least, that some folks are giving the
issue some thought. I've kept an eye out for follow-up studies, but
have found none, so far. I'll certainly pipe in if I find something
similar.
Cheers:
Patrick
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--
Knowledge is the antidote for fear

Patrick's Gallery of Dreams and Weirdness
http://www.LegendsMagazine.net/pan/rayn/rpm
Haunter's Ghost Stories
http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/3549/stories.htm