IUBio

Are men really brain damaged at birth?

Marielle Fois im99_foa at nada.kth.se
Fri Jun 29 11:50:49 EST 2001

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Brian wrote:

> So, what do you think of the book "The Bell Curve" ??
> It poses these facts, and no matter how one wishes to twist and turn, it
> seems that we males are more developed, specially spatially.

I don't know of the book, but if there is something you can do with
statistics is to twist and turn them to get the results you want.

Be careful, comments like "it seems that we males are more developed,
specially spacially" usually trigger feminists extreme reactions (I
am not a feminist ;) The contrary could also be said "women seem
to be more developed than men, specially verbally".

I have read a couple of articles that suggest this difference between
men and women. In reality, the difference was not between women and
men itself, but between individuals exposed to higher and lower
levels of testosterone. In their studies, women that had been exposed
to higher levels of testosterone during their lifes seemed to develop
better spacial skills. Thus, they proposed that men develop better
spacial skills because they are evidently exposed to higher levels of
testosterone than women are.

I think there is nothing wrong with this idea, diversity is good. The
wrong thing is to only encourage studies about what skills may be
better in men and not encourage studies about what skills may be
better in women. That makes a kind of discrimination. The same idea
happens with iq tests, if you base your iq test on skills that are
better in men, then of course you will have statistics that say that
men are more intelligent than women. As Richard Norman wrote, "what
does iq really mean?"

About the multiple dimention approach, I don't really know what to
say.

Marielle