IUBio

Electrophysiology software

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.net
Mon Sep 10 03:07:49 EST 2001

On 9 Sep 2001 14:40:45 -0700, electrowoman456 at yahoo.com (bobbi) wrote:

>I have been using Datawave's software, both workbench and discovery,
>for my electrophysiology and despise them both. There are too many
>reasons to get into here. I'm about to start a post-doc and have the
>chance to set up rig from scratch. So what are other people using and
>what packages have you heard good things about? All of my
>electrophysiology has been extracellular so far, single unit, evoked
>potential, and EEG. Is there a package that does a good job of these?
>What about linux resources?

Try Matlab! It can analyse any type of signals - of
any size, as song as you have enough RAM - and read
data from any file format (binary IO support). Unless
you like to code the DSP stuff yourself, the signal
processing toolbox will also be handy.

You should also consider writing your own software
in C++ or Fortran 95. It is not as hard as it sounds.
There are surprisingly few lines of code behind the
most expensive commersial software. An inexperienced
programmer can often make equally good (and custom
designed!) software within a week.

Whatever you do, don't rely on commersial software
packages. They are designed to fit everyones needs,
and hence fits nobodys needs perfectly. Hence you
should try Matlab and C++. If coding-time is critical,
use Matlab. If memory or run-time is critical, use
C++.  If memory or run-time is extremely critical, use
Fortran.

Sturla Molden