IUBio

Interfacing to the neural strata....

Robin Hayman ucgarmh at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Sep 27 11:55:23 EST 2001

There are methodological problems in recording from a large number of
neurons - excluding recording via non-invasive measures such as MRI and PET
etc.  If you want to record the individual responses of a large number of
neurons then this means placing an electrode(s) (or some related technique -
i.e. tetrodes a la O'Keefe and place cells) near to the every cell(s) of
interest.  The fact that researchers have managed to record from 100's of
neurons is a huge technological feat.  Recording from large populations (in
the range of 1000's) would mean placing massive bundles of electrodes into
the area(s) of interest - an insult that a biological system (such as a
freely behaving animal) would be unlikely to recover from to any useful
degree.  Similarly, placing electrodes and recording individual responses of
neurons in culture would be so time intensive it is unlikely that the slice
would be viable by the time the all electrodes had been placed.
As for your plasticity question I'll let somebody else respond to that one!
I hope this has helped.

news:9ova8u$jnr$1 at seagoon.newcastle.edu.au...