IUBio

brain

mat mats_trash at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 10 09:52:25 EST 2002

Does anyone have experience of doing cortical activity recordings from
awake animals? I am interested in the population activity in and
between cortical pyramidal cells and columns and with the advent of
new techniques of being able to monitor activity at greater and
greater resolution without placing intra cellular electrodes I have
one basic question:  What is the highest vertebrate that has a
reasonably flat cortical surface i.e. few gyri.   I presume that
placing an array of electrodes on the cortical surface would only be
feasible if there are minimal gyri.  Otherwise the recordings will be
difficult to interpret due to the complex three dimensional shape of
the cortex.

These are just preliminary inquiries!  See also the 'micro-EEG'
thread.  Any advice greatly appreciated