IUBio

why study neurology?

mat mats_trash at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 15 04:49:36 EST 2002

> Well, I am not sure she ever said that much. She certainly says that
> electrochemical dynamics of our brains affect our mind, but I don't
> think she ever equivocally said that the mind is only electrochemical
> dynamics.
> (Being devil's advocate as I do think the 'mind' is made up of
> biological reductive processes)
> Besides, just because chemical changes change the way we think does
> not mean our consciousness is ONLY made up electrochemical processes.

This argument that there is 'something else' only works if you can
postulate what that something else is.  What you've got to work with
in the brain is pretty similar to all the other cells in the body, bar
the fact that neurons are far more complex.  You still only have
proteins, ions, lipids etc.. to work with though.  I believe that the
mind can be exhaustively explained by those.  What is this 'something
else'? The only route I can see is dualism.