IUBio

why study neurology?

yan king yin (dont spam) y.k.y at lycos.com
Tue Jan 15 07:27:52 EST 2002

Im thinking that perhaps the understanding of synaptic plasticity can
*partly* answer the question of how is memory stored in the brain.
Synapses are the functional units in the nervous system. If you find
some transitors in an unknown machine, chances are that they store
some bits of information, otherwise why are they being there?

Im wondering if the metabotropic receptors have secondary
messengers that diffuse to nearby synapses and cross-talk with
their pathways, thus modifying those synapses. This might give rise
to some interesting learning rules. Thats just my guess and I have
to study it more thoroughly.

Im also looking for some books on neural network modeling that
is based closely on biological details, such as circuits and learning
rules. Do you know of any?

"mat" <mats_trash at hotmail.com>