IUBio

Motor control - post surgical removal of brain

mat mats_trash at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 15 17:47:09 EST 2002

> I was thinking that the cells could gradually replace the traumatized cells.
> If this doesn't work with current technology, then I guess that _this_ is the direction
> research should be advanced.....
> It seems terribly drastic to remove large parts of the brain.
>
> Brian

Fetal cells are by definition early embryonic cells.  To differentiate
into functional neurones requires a cocktail of growth factors etc.
which changes over time and which we are a long way off from
understanding in normal neurogenesis no matter in this situation.
Further, it is unlikely that the transplanted cells would ever grow
into exactly the same architecture as those resected.  Given the
likely importance of neural connectivity in producing the mind and
personality then the potential implications of such a large
'transplant' are unfathomable.

I do agree that the surgery sounds drastic.  The only disorder in
which large areas of brain are resected still is epliepsy, and then it
is either the hippocampi and/or surrounding structures or a section of
the corpus callosum.  Removal of what sounds like a region including
the motor cortex is a bit strange to say the least.  I wonder whether
the brain was actually resected or whether the hemiplegia is due to
the stroke (as is common), and the operation was to clip an anuerysm
that might have caused the bleeding.