IUBio

why study neurology?

James Teo james at teoth.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Jan 16 08:52:49 EST 2002

On 15 Jan 2002 01:49:36 -0800, mats_trash at hotmail.com (mat) wrote:
>This argument that there is 'something else' only works if you can
>postulate what that something else is.

Network theory in crowd dynamics shows you that there is something
else other than just the individual people that influences their
behaviour. It is everything from proximity, herd instinct, cultural
identity, etc. That is the something else: the emergent phenomenon
which is the mind, which has a distinct set of properties in addition
to their properties of being neurons, ions and transmitters.

>What you've got to work with
>in the brain is pretty similar to all the other cells in the body, bar
>the fact that neurons are far more complex.  You still only have
>proteins, ions, lipids etc.. to work with though.  I believe that the
>mind can be exhaustively explained by those.  What is this 'something
>else'? The only route I can see is dualism.

Am I correct in saying that in your mind, dualism is anything which
isn't about atoms?