IUBio

Neurochemistry and the future of neuroscience

mat mats_trash at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 29 11:21:43 EST 2002

> Originally I wanted to be a neurologist, but I've found that I'm more
> interested in discovering how the brain works and how the nervous system
> communicates in a specific fashion.  I want to be able to find ways to
> interpret the chemical signals of the nervous system (neurotransmitters)
> and understand the communication protocols used between the neural cells.
>
> I'm really not too much into the pharmocology

If you want to understand transmitter systems and the 'protocols' then
pharmacology is exactly the subject you need to study :)

> and psychology aspects of
> neuroscience, however, I do enjoy learning about cognitive processes and
> studies of the brain (the human brain in particular).  I like the ideas
> in the Matrix having to do with being able to plug your brain directly
> into a machine and I see it as being possible sometime.  The mind based
> input devices (such as the Mind Mouse) have been fascinating to me, but
> they are limited.  I hope someday to have mind control very much like we
> have voice control today for computers.  Artficial limbs could also be
> made more accurate as well (as long as implanting studies doesn't beat
> neuroscience to it :))
>
> I want to be able to contribute to fields where someday the human
> cognitive and physical neurological functions could cleanly be
> transferred into a machine body.  IA (intelligence augmentation) is also
> of great interest to me.

hmmm, the think that is crucial to appreciate is that the intricate
structure and activity of our brains are what define 'us'.  We are not
separate from it.  Given the inherent uncertainty in measuring things
down to the molecular and even atomic level it is unlikely (in my
opinion anyway) that we will ever be able to transfer 'ourselves' into
a machine.  We might oneday be able to create a machine that mimicked
a human, though that is many many years away.