IUBio

Zwicker effect

TonyJeffs tonyjeffs at aol.com
Tue Jun 3 17:34:15 EST 2003

"John H." <johnh at faraway.xxx> wrote in message news:<3edcd89c at dnews.tpgi.com.au>...

> Hmmm, wild speculator: how about botox for tinnitus????

Hi John
I can see the logic. Might make you deaf for the duration, but it'd
give temporary respite.

There was something 7 years ago that strikes me as similar in concept.
A  Dr Blaxendale at Edinburgh University in Scotland was working on an
electromagnetic collar which was designed to be fitted around the
bladder nerve. When activated, it blocked, or enhanced, the signal in
the nerve, enabling external control of the muscles, and artificially
restoring contenence.
Strikes me that something similar could enable a volume control to be
fitted to the ear.  (But you might have to cut away a chunk of brain
to make space for the device!!!)

More practically, there are lots of medicines. They help mainly when
people believe in them - but two interesting ones are....

The two main neurotransmitters in the inner ear are Glutamate
(afferent) and ACh (efferent). There are lots of drugs for each.

There's been a lot done on mementine, a glutamate antagonist, but when
you read about the alleged 80% succes, it is not at all convincing;
wishful thinking imo on behalf of the researcher.

I don't think there's been any research done on ACh antagonists, but
there are serveal reports Ive read by people taking such drugs,
occasionally for other reasons such as eye conditions, and they've
expressed surprise at the effect on their tinnitus.

So I Suspect that ACh antagonists really work - way above placebo.

I have a collection of anecdotal reports to illustrate my point if
anyone wants a look.  Scopolamine is known to work on the vestibular
system and reduce sea-sickness.

Re Zwicker
Downloaded that graphic prog, and the C++ code.
At first glance, that code is way out my league, but I'll pluck up
courage and have another look....

Tony