IUBio

REM sleep EEG vs Beta wave EEG

KP_PC k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jun 7 13:24:55 EST 2003

"Anomaly Magnetism" <magnetic-heat-sound at excite.com> wrote in message
news:3f3e2522.0306062201.322fdcbc at posting.google.com...
| Hi:
|
| I recently visited the website
| http://www.epub.org.br/cm/n02/mente/neurobiologia_i.htm
|
| This website claims REM sleep EEG is
| of higher frequency (60-70 Hz) than Beta
| wave EEG (13-30 Hz). Is this true? How
| is this possible? REM state, though active,
| is more relaxed than beta. Due to this, one
| would expect beta frequency to be higher
| than REM. Right??

I've got an excellent sleep text, but it's stored
away, so I couldn't independently verify the REM
figure, but the beta Hz is correct.

It doesn't matter though.

The body's muscle tone is 'relaxed' during
REM sleep - it's 'disconnected' - because, if it
were not, then you'd wake yourself up by
'thrashing' around when you were dreaming
[and also give your position away to predators].

REM sleep EEG doesn't correspond to muscle
tone.

"Apples and oranges."

To folks who've been following my posts re. NDT:
When I looked up the EEG parms, it 'popped'-
obvious that the the change in wave-form over the
4 "sleep stages" constitutes TD E/I-minimization.

What's happening is that, via TD E/I-minimization,
the relative-'randomness' [that correlates with the
stuff I've discussed in long-former msgs with
respect to "experiential total" integration during
sleeping consciousness] is being eliminated.

That is, during a day's experience, a store of the
day's memories is built up.

The problem that the brain must solve is how to
tightly integrate the information-content of
these memories =across= the nervous system's
"experiential total", even though the day's
memories are in the day's specific experiential
context - so as to maintain a unified conscious-
ness.

The relative-'randomness' inherent derives in
the fact that the day's memories need to be
integrated with stuff with respect to which they
are experiential-contextually different.

One can literally See the relative-'randomness'
being "whittled" away [eliminated] in the
progression of the "sleep stages`" wave-forms.

It's the relative-'randomness' that keeps the wave-
form rapid and low-amplitude during the beta
[waking] 'state' - and you can literally see the
brain 'getting its ducks in a row' as the "sleep
stages" progress - the relative-'randomness' is
eliminated, and EEG amplitude augments as a
result of the correlated experiential-context
'discord' being eliminated.

You can =literally= see this happening in the
EEG :-]

It's why, when we wake up, we can 'bridge'
contexts during our everyday problem-
solving, even though we may never have
experienced paired-stimuli before during
waking consciousness.

And why sleep deprivation leaves conscious-
ness 'fuzzy' - 'out of focus'.

I've discussed ecerything that's here before,
except the blatently-obvious TD E/I-minimization
correlates.

Gees louise! How'd I ever not-See such before
this!

Probably because I 'reified' this stuff decades
ago, and have never revisited it 'til today.

My depth of understanding of what's in TD E/I-
minimization's wave-form progressed, but I'd not
gone back to 'reiterate' sleep-stuff 'til today.

My experiencing of 'instantaneous-obviousness'
is a case in-point re. the discussion above :-]

My nervous system did the information-processing
work, and has been 'waiting' for me to look at the
"sleep-stage" EEG traces :-]

It's so Beautiful.

Thanks for your post 'AM'.

K. P. Collins