IUBio

Zwicker effect

TonyJeffs tonyjeffs at aol.com
Thu Jun 12 06:37:12 EST 2003

"John H." <johnh at faraway.xxx> wrote in message news:<3eddd462 at dnews.tpgi.com.au>...

> I don't like the "phantom limb" analogy because:
>
> tinnitus is experienced in the ear, phantom limb is sensation in space.
> Phantom limb can involve pain, to my knowledge this is not experienced in
> tinnitus.
> Phantom limb is a real sensation that makes sense to the experiencer,
> tinnitus is more like random noise.

I get what youre saying - there's a deal of difference,  but tinnitus
too is like a real noise sensation. Almost the same as having
headphones on really. The only difference is that it is so absolutely
fixed in location and pitch.  If you have headphones on, you can nudge
them and the sound'll tweak a little reminding you that it's external.

> I accept that some tinnitus if of central origin. Reminds me of allydonia
> (spelling?) where some musicians experience uncontrolled spasms from
> continual use, I wonder if excessive Glutamate activity lowers synaptic
> thresholds to the point of over sensitivity. Raises the question, do GABA
> agonists help in this context??? Is there GABA receptors in the auditory
> nerve network?
>

> John H.

Not heard of allydonia before.
Glutamate...but if a neuron was defective in that way, wouldn't it
either recover or die, and why would this condition predominate in the
auditory pathway? (not disagreeing, I can find loopholes in everything
I come up with too, so I'm just wondering)

There's been some research into use of glutamate antagonists, and the
guy 'selling the treatment'reports an 80% success rate, but a friend
who followed it closely wasn't convinced.

The other main neurotransmitter is ACh on the efferent pathway. I
think that ACh antagonists do work. I've seen a lot of people claiming
that various concoctions helped, where one might think it's indirect
psychological help, but comments related to scopolamine strike me as
remarkably convincing.
Never tried it myself, though.

Tony